Rob Edmunds - Writes Roman Historical Novels

Roman History Blog - Featured Author

Rob Edmunds - Writes Novels of Roman Historical Interest

Firstly, I would like to thank David from Roman ancient history for giving me the opportunity to introduce my books to everyone. Unusually, the two books I've written on Roman themes will be published together. Perhaps that’s a good thing as, if you enjoy the first one, you won’t have to wait to see how the story unfolds! The first is entitled Masinissa: Ally of Carthage and its sequel is Masinissa: Ally of Rome. Both take a distinctive perspective on some of the major events that occurred during the Second Punic War. There have been novels which feature Rome and Carthage as the main actors in that conflict, but I’ve taken the third major force in the region for my novels. Numidia was divided into two kingdoms at the time, the Massylii which supported Carthage and the Masaesyli which was allied with Rome. The hero of my books was a Numidian prince who would ultimately unify Numidia and turn it into the breadbasket of Rome. He would rule a unified Numidia for 54 years. He is still revered today across eight countries in North Africa and the Sahel region as the founding father of the Amazigh / Berber people. The story begins in 213BC at the point when Masinissa is entering the war as the commander of a powerful cavalry force and concludes a little after the climactic Battle of Zama in 202BC.
Masinissa: Ally of Carthage (Book 1)

 
You can get this book at https://amzn.to/30U7taL
You can get the Kindle Edition at https://amzn.to/2XWHHk2

My interest in this story was a little accidental. I’ve always had a strong interest in the classical period and Mediterranean civilization, but I’d never heard about Masinissa before, which I suspect may be a common admission from even those people who are very knowledgeable about Roman history. My interest grew as I researched the period and events and came across people who knew far more about them than I did. One conversation was particularly striking. I was speaking with a professor of ancient history from a quite eminent university and he told me that he felt the decision Masinissa took to abandon his alliance with Carthage and instead forge an alliance with Rome was one of the five most momentous decisions ever taken in history. There may be some bias in that contention, but it brought home to me just how important Masinissa’s story was. He weakened Carthage and strengthened Rome. If Carthage had won that war, so many things in our world might be different, right down to the most fundamental things like the alphabet and language I’m using now. Another thing which galvanised and motivated me was the very positive and encouraging comments and interactions I’ve received from people within the Amazigh community in North Africa and elsewhere. He is a very important historical and cultural figure across the entire region.
 Masinissa: Ally of Rome (Book 2)
You can get this book at https://amzn.to/2DGWKaU
You can get the Kindle Edition at https://amzn.to/33UNBWM
From a cultural perspective, the heroine of my books is even more interesting than Masinissa. Sophonisba was, between the 16th and 19th centuries, alongside Cleopatra, the most popular female figure for dramatic depiction. There are many paintings and plays about her, including one by John Marston, composer of the poem/song Rule Britannia. There have also been 15 operas and 2 ballets about her, and she was the central figure in the very first epic of cinema, Cabiria,which played in theatres
worldwide in 1914.
 
Giovanni Battista Tiepolo Scipio Africanus freeing Massiva
I hope with these books I will revive interest in her and Masinissa. Their stories are truly epic. Hopefully I’ve done some sort of justice to them! As an aside, as I’ve mentioned Cleopatra, Masinissa’s great grandson, Juba II married the daughter of Cleopatra and Mark Antony, Cleopatra Selene.
Masinissa statue
In terms of the covers, the first depicts Masinissa and Sophonisba in the Brysa citadel of Carthage. The second is likely to be have been in Cirta or Constantine in Algeria as it is now. It is a scene that has been represented many times, most famously probably by the court painter of King Louis XVIII Simon Vouet.
 
The fortress of Xativa
 I have a little bit more about my books in my website robedmunds.net and my twitter profile is robedmunds11. Feel free to say hi! The e-books are currently available exclusively with Amazon and kindle unlimited but will be available on all other platforms from October 15th. The physical books are also available to pre-order from the Amazon, Waterstones, Troubador and even e-bay I believe! They will be published on August 28th.
Cape Farina
 
The temple of Melqart
 
Links
Roman History on Twitter https://twitter.com/romanhistory1
Roman History Website http://romanancienthistory.blogspot.com/
 
A selection of Roman History books can be found at
  
Copyright © 2020 David Lee